A python wrapper for Drive Snapshot.
Drive Snapshot is a simple but effective backup tool for creating image backups.
snaprunner is a command line script which itself calls the Drive Snapshot executable. It adds certain features which Drive Snapshot is missing and which are especially useful for scheduled backup scenarios.
- Alternately creates full and differential backups in certain intervals.
- Clean-up of either differential and or full backups which are older than a given amount of days.
- Status mail upon successful/failed backup runs.
- Automatically creates meaningful backup file names by including machine, drive, date/time and backup generation count.
- Provides simulation of backup and clean-up.
Python 2.x has to be installed.
python.exe snaprunner.py "\\10.0.0.200\Public\backups\" C: --diffcount 10 --cmd C:\devtools\Snapshot\snapshot.exe --exclude \Sandbox --mail_to email@example.com --mail_from "snapshot <firstname.lastname@example.org>" --mail_smtp mail.com
- Creates backups of drive C: in directory \\10.0.0.200\Public\backups\
- Creates a full backup after every 10th differential backup
- Expects snapshot.exe in C:\devtools\Snapshot\snapshot.exe
- Excludes the Directory C:\Sandbox
- Success/Fail-Mail is sent to email@example.com via SMTP Server mail.com
NOTE: If python.exe is not set in PATH, use the full path (e.g. C:\python27\python.exe).
NOTE: command lines like this are indented to be used in task scheduler to run hourly, daily, weekly etc.
python.exe snaprunner.py "\\10.0.0.200\Public\backups\" C: --diffcount 10 --cmd C:\devtools\Snapshot\snapshot.exe -dd 60 -d 90 --exclude \Sandbox --mail_to firstname.lastname@example.org --mail_from "snapshot <email@example.com>" --mail_smtp mail.com
- Same as example 1 but with clean up:
- -dd 60 Deletes differential backups after 60 days.
- -d 90 Deletes all backups after 90 days.
NOTE: -d does never delete full backups if there are any differential backups which are not deleted and which depend on the full backup.
NOTE: Use option --simulate if you are unsure about the delete options. --simulate does neither create a backup nor deletes any files. A status mail is created however.
usage: snaprunner.py [-h] [--cmd CMD] [--diffcount X] [--exclude [EXCLUDE [EXCLUDE ...]]] [--argsfile ARGS_FILE] [--simulate] [--delete DAYS] [--deletediff DAYS] [--mail_to MAIL_TO] [--mail_from MAIL_FROM] [--mail_smtp MAIL_SMTP] backupdir drive positional arguments: backupdir directory containing the backup files drive drive to back up. e.g. C: optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit --cmd CMD Path for snapshot binary snapshot64.exe or snapshot.exe. (default: snapshot.exe) --diffcount X Create X differential backups after every full backup. 0 = only full backups. (default: 0) --exclude [EXCLUDE [EXCLUDE ...]] Excludes given file(s) or folder(s) (default: None) --argsfile ARGS_FILE, -af ARGS_FILE Additional command line arguments for snapshot are read form this file. If not specified, the following arguments are used by default: --CreateDir --AutoBackupSize:512 -L0 -Gx -W. (default: None) --simulate Does not call snapshot nor deletes any files. All messages are printed and mail is sent. (default: False) --delete DAYS, -d DAYS Delete all backups which are older then DAYS days. Full backups are not deleted if there are any differential backups depending on them which are kept. (default: None) --deletediff DAYS, -dd DAYS Delete differential backups which are older then DAYS days. (default: None) mail options: --mail_to MAIL_TO Mail address for status mail. (default: None) --mail_from MAIL_FROM Sender mail address for mail. Required if --mail_to is specified. (default: None) --mail_smtp MAIL_SMTP Smtp server for mailing. Required if --mail_to is specified. (default: None)